What cancer could cause a low WBC count? Done blood test

Jan 2013

What cancer could cause a low wbc count? Last year mine was 5.2, six months ago 4.6, now I'm at a 4.08. Every other number was great. I thought most cancers would show up as a high wbc with the exception of certain blood cancers.
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Low WBC count occurs in those cancers in which the cancerous cells replace bone marrow (present in hip bone, sternum) and in those cases where the spleen is enlarged, which leads to a premature destruction of WBC occurs.
Low WBC may occur in aleukemic leukemia, it may be myelogenous, lymphocytic or monocytic
You have not mentioned reference normal limits in your question. Considering your reports, your values appear to be normal. At present, you dont have a low WBC count. I would want to know if a peripheral blood film exam has been done. We may want to look at that exam if we’re suspecting cancer.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava