What can make my hair re-grow?

Dermatologist
Question
I have a bald spot in the center of my head and in that center is a small button that itches. The hair grows in the area around the button but seems to break off easily. Is there anything that will remove that button and cause my hair to regrow?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 18 minutes later

First, I wish you could have provided the following details. They could help me in understanding your problem better.

1. Since how long do you have this problem?
2. Is the patch stationary growing?single or multiple?
3. Does it itch?
4. Are there few hairs in center?Or it is clean bald?
5. Is there any scaling /color change in patch?

A picture of the affected area will be more informative too. You can mail me the photos to YYYY@YYYY with subject:ATTN Dr Sudarshan. Please do confirm the sending of the photos by writing here, so that I can reply you back at the earliest.

Perhaps a visit to dermatologist can also confirm the diagnosis.

Please reply back with the above answers and mail the photos as this will help me in answering you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: What can make my hair re-grow? 7 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX
My health inquiry was
     "I have a bald spot in the center of my head and in that center is a small button that itches. The hair grows in the area around the button but      seems to break off easily. Is there anything that will remove that button and cause my hair to regrow?"

And you asked for answers to the following questions.

I've had this problem for about 5 years. It started a little after I applied a chemical in the form of a texturizer in my hair.

2. Is the patch stationary, growing? Single or multiple?
The patch has been stationary for most of the time, however now it is getting larger. It is just one patch but a pretty large one.

3. Does it itch?
Sometimes. It is also very sensitive.

4.Are there few hairs in center? Or is it clean bald?
There are hairs but it doesn't really grow. It tends to stay at one extremely short length.

5. Is there any scaling/color change in patch?
No, not to my knowledge.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 15 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

I havnt received the photos as yet.Please try to resend them. But the description you have provided leads me to give diagnosis of alopecia areata . It is an autoimmune condition in which patchy alopecia develops ,may remain stationary for years together , any stress or other precipitating factor may lead to new patches arising or enlarging existing patches.

Course of the disease is variable in each patient .Hairs may regrow in your patches.Treatment consists topical/ oral steroids , topical immunomodulators/ topical contact sensitizers.

Better visit a dermatologist for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment purposes.
Hope you got your answer.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 14 hours later
Dear sawcchic ,
Thanks for the reply,

Got your photos . The photos are not very clear but It now appears to be its either T.capitis( a fungal infection of scalp) or alopecia areata (as replied previously).

I suggest you to visit a dermatologist at the earliest as treatment of both condition is entirely different . In addition to these two conditions it can be other things.Your derrmatologist will do KOH examination , fungal culture,woods lamp examination, trichogram to confirm your diagnosis and will treat you according to cause.

Till then you can continue Biotin supplement daily upto 5-10 mg biotin.

Hope you got your answer.
Take care .