What can cause swollen lymph nodes in the back of head just below hairline?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
What can cause swollen lymph nodes in the back of head/neck (just below hairline)
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to infection, allergy, cancers.

Detailed Answer:
Lymph nodes are part of the of the immune system helps in fighting against infections. They are like police man of our body, it pops out whenever there is ongoing infection in the vicinity and become inflamed or enlarged. The conditions may range from trivial infections such as a throat infection, to life-threatening such as cancers.

With respect to your condition the swelling near the hairline could be either because of scalp infection such as dandruff, folliculitis, boil, etc. or infection in the ear canal.

You need to take pain relievers such as dicolfenac/ibuprofen and an antibiotic after the consultation of your doctor. Avoid using any ear buds to clean the ear and drink plenty of water to keep you well hydrated.
In case the swelling increases, then get an FNAC done to find out the cause.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.