What can cause swollen foot and why am I having numbness while walking?
User rating for this question
The soles of my feet are puffy and swollen, the pads and heels, not my ankles or calves. Just the BOTTOMS are puffy and my feet get numb when I'm walking. Unlike other foot problems I have read complaints about, I feel no pain at all associated with these symptoms. I am having problems with pain in my left leg, calf, thigh and hips intermittently and am seeing a vascular specialist on XXXXXXX 29, but this doesn't seem to feel connected at all.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Keep the toes and feet elevated above knee Detailed Answer: Hi As one ages the pumping mechanism in the lower leg muscles reduce to carry the impure blood in the lower limbs back to the heart. These muscles should act like pump which they fail to do. The other reason is there is less oncotic pressure because of low protein so the capillaries leak and the fluid remains extra cellularly. These two reason remain large why you have puffy and swollen pads and heel. There are other reasons like your medications could be a reason. I suggest you to visit local primary physician for evaluation even before you meet a vascular surgeon. That should solve a lot of worries. Till then you should keep your feet elevated above your knee level so that the fluid runs back towards the heart. Keep the soles and feet dry. Hope this helps.
People also viewed
- Drugs/medication for neuro-degenerative diseases
- Muscle cramps in legs after breast implants
- After brest cancer sudden right shoulder pain
- Lump in breast after injury
- Pain in wrists after deep breath
- Drugs/medication for breast papillomas
- What could be the cause of numbness of foot
- Drugs/medication for benign adenomas
- What causes numbness in fingers and swollen knees
- What causes numbness swollen and painful toes
- What causes painful swollen and numb gum
- Breathless after carrying heavy things
- Drugs/medication for malignant, infiltrative diseases
- Left foot feels heavy and numb while walking cause
- Drugs/medication for gastric carcinoids