Ask a Urologist   »  

What can cause strong smell of ammonia in my urine along with gas formation?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i am 35 yrs i have this strong smell of ammonia in my urine in the morning accompanied with lot of gas formation. i was diagnosed with mild hiatal hernia in 2007 and i had same symptoms, then i was put on omeprazole, ganton and dromis which cured it. it has started again i have this urge for frequent urination and burning sensation/stinging sensation after urination sometimes. i drink lots of water 3-5 ltrs daily, though my parents are diabetic my sugar report has been normal and urine has no infection. i have observed that this problem arises only when i have abdominal problems that is excessive gas, acidity, abdominal distention etc
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. Having urge for frequent urination and burning sensation/stinging sensation after urination sometimes according to your age means renal or bladder stone. So get your x-ray abdomen PA view done to rule out renal-calcinosis/ bladder stone Get your ultrasound abdomen done to rule out size of stone in urinary system. Only then your further treatment can be advise. Taking a lot of water simply do not help if stone is of large size. You can take alkylating drugs e.g syrup Di-sodium hydrogen citrate 1.38 gm by discussing it with your Doctor. To avoid gas formation , take less carbohydrate diet , do morning walk daily for 30 mins . I hope you have get your answer. Thanks.