What can cause strange spasm above Adam's Apple?

ENT Specialist
I have a strange spasm going on a couple inches above my adams Apple Freaks me out. Doesnt happen more after eating or any other activities.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Acid reflux is the most common Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Spasm in the upper part of pharynx (throat) can be because of reflux of acid from the stomach. Usually the acid which comes above acts as an irritant in the throat and spasmodic contraction takes place sometimes. But throat spasm is not always actually a throat muscles' spasm. Other cases can be allergic reactions to certain food stuff and is usually short lived but many a times it is very difficult to point out the offending food. Dehydration or neurological conditions and panic attacks can be a cause and adequate fluid intake and salt balance of the body should take care of this. A rare cause can be a mass down in the throat but will be associated with other symptoms. Of these reflux is the common and taking a course of proton pump inhibitors (PPI) helps. Please consult an ENT for a throat examination. In case it is normal which most likely it will be, please discus with him/her the option of taking a course of PPI. Dietary restrictions like avoiding very spicy, oily and sour foods and excessive tea , coffee and alcohol also helps. Feel free to ask another query. Regards