What can cause snoring and jerking legs when drinking alcohol regularly?

43 year old alcoholic male. Drinking since mid-teens and past 5 years drinks about 2 1/2-3 cases of beer (5% ABV) per week. He is overweight. Snores. I was concerned one night because I happen to hear him breath while he was sleeping. His breathing was short little 'puff' breaths. He would quickly breath in from his nose and 'puff' it out of his mouth. Very short inhale and exhale. I've only noticed it the one time, but I happen to be awake. He also 'jerks' his legs while sleeping.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Needs examination & Investigation... Detailed Answer: Dear friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic The description doesn't sound like a heart problem! It appears to be Sleep Apnoea… See a Pulmonologist (Lung specialist) / get him examined Basic investigations are often necessary... Spirometry (lung function) / X-ray Chest / EKG are the routine and minimum… Liver function and Lipids (Cholesterol & Triglyceride) are also in order Jerking the logs could be normal phenomenon / if severe, a Neurological consultation could evaluate Restless Leg Syndrome… In the long term, counselling can help to wean from alcohol Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless