What can cause severe headache on left side of head and ringing in left ear?

Last night I had a feeling in my head that would have dropped me to the floor if i wasn't already sitting. I've looked up all sorts of different types of severe headaches but I would describe it as more of an irritating/vibrating feeling on the top left side of my head. It was almost as if my brain was falling apart or trying to ring itself out. I haven't noticed anything wrong physically but it still feels numb and I occasionally will hear ringing in my left ear.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 15 minutes later

The description of your symptoms indicate that you might be suffering with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or labyrinthitis (which is associated with tinnitus - Ringing in the ear). This is most commonly due to Idiopathic( unknown etiology) or any infections of the inner ear.

Practicing the following exercise(Epley's maneuver) described below, might help you in resolving your present symptoms:
1. Sit upright on the side of the bed or table.
2. Turn your head to the symptomatic side at a 45 degree angle, and then lie on your back.
3. Remain in this position for 20 seconds.
4. Turn your head 90 degrees to the other side.
5. Remain in this position for 20 seconds.
6. Roll your body to the side you are facing.
7. Remain in this position for 20 seconds.
8. Go back to the sitting position and remain up to 30 seconds in this position.
The entire procedure should be followed for minimum of three times a day. Following this everyday would help you to resolve your symptoms.

In addition, you might also benefit by medications like MECLIZINE or CINNARIZINE which are available Over the counter, and would be prescribed by your doctor.

It would be better to get examined by an ENT specialist who can examine the inner ear, and treat any infection if present.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.