What can cause low bleeding during menstruation with negative urine pregnancy tests?

I was due my period Monday which would be a 27 day cycle. I am like clockwork every month however this month on day27 I just got slight brown discharge (my period is usually very heavy). Now I am on day 31 still no period and still have brown discharge. I have done 2 first response tests which came upvery faint and a clearblue digital test which came up not pregnant.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Follow-up: What can cause low bleeding during menstruation with negative urine pregnancy tests? 11 minutes later
Can you please advise what I should do.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 minute later
Hi Bundles,

Thanks for your query,

The less bleeding can be due to a few reasons. You need to wait a few more days (48 to 72 hrs) and take another pregnancy test. If it still negative then dont worry. This cycle may have been exceptional. You could be having normal bleeding in the next cycle. If you have less bleeding/spotting again in the next cycle then you should have an ultrasound and some hormone tests.

If in case your test is positive then you again, you will need to get an ultrasound and see a doctor.

Any thing, non routine, can delay or alter your normal cycles.