What can cause grey phlegm while coughing and blood in left nostril?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I coughed up a dark grey long firm piece of phlegm today which has red streaks in it. It appears to look like a 'slug' on inspection. I have put it in the fridge to take to the doctors in the morning. I have noticed blood in my left nostril and an enlarged polyp for months. everytime I was my face bright red blood is in my nostril, it never drips. I frequently get upper respiratory tract infections and chest infections but the phlegm is usually thick yellow with blood streaks and much wetter? I have recently been sneezing every morning when I wake with a running watery nose. I have felt very fatigued for the last 2 weeks and my neck and face has been very dry and patchy / almost eczema looking. Not sure if all these symptoms are linked but my main worry is the grey phlegm. Regards, XXXX
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Grey phelgm is from your airways. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. I have seen the picture attached. The grey phelgm is from your airways due to persistent and recurrent upper respiratory infections. The grey color is due to the smoke that we inhale from the environment. There is no need to worry. Such hard deposited secretions can be coughed out sometimes. You can do a regular steam inhalation and get some antibiotics prescribed to control the infection in your airways. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What can cause grey phlegm while coughing and blood in left nostril? 12 hours later
Thank you for your response. What type of antibiotics would you recommend? Steam inhallation does not work for me. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Get sputum culture done. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. There are many antibiotics that can be used like bactrim amoxycillin cefuroxime cefadroxil levofloxacin etc. But it is best to choose the best for you after a sputum culture. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards