What can cause bruising, headaches, night sweats and redness on the thighs?

I've been having unexplained bruising, headaches, night sweats and now a honey comb looking non itching redness has showed up on my inner thigh. I am an ER nurse and normally don't worry about minor things but these minor things are starting to add up and worry me. Also I had what appeared to be a peticeal rash after tanning last month. Am I crazy for thinking Leukemia? I'm almost 30.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for leukemia and it will be better if you get investigated to rule out any leukemia as leukemia often presents with such symptoms.

Based on your symptoms, a few possibilities need to be ruled out which can cause increased bruising, night sweats and a non itchy redness. These include:

1)     Anemia and deficiency of vitamins C, K, B12, or folic acid
2)     Bleeding and clotting defects
3)     Liver disease
4)     Any malignancy including Hodgkin's disease and leukemia

Night sweats can also be due to non DM hypoglycemia at night which you are already having. But it is important to rule out any malignancy as night sweats are common in leukemia also.

I sincerely advise you to consult a hematologist and get your coagulation profile and liver function tests investigated. You also need a complete blood count and platelet count and levels of vitamin C, K B12 and folic acid. Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy may also be needed to rule out any leukemia.

Till then eat a healthy diet and take iron supplements for some days.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: What can cause bruising, headaches, night sweats and redness on the thighs? 52 minutes later
I apologize but I also forgot to mention in my medical Hx that I am Vitamin D deficient and usually stay at about 3.3-3.2 on my Potassium. Don't think that holds any relevancy here but you never know. I have been having muscle twitching and calf cramping which makes me agree with you on having vitamin studies done and possible a CMP. If the CBC comes back normal then we could feel fairly certain that a leukemia isn't the issue right?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 10 hours later

Vitamin D deficiency and low potassium doesn't lead to the problems you're going through. Anyhow, these need to be rectified.

Vitamin D is available in the form of sachets of 60,000 IU and potassium problem can be treated with foods XXXXXXX in potassium like bananas, coconut water, citrus fruits etc.

If your CBC is normal and there are no abnormal cells in the peripheral smear, then the possibility of a leukemia is less likely but can't definitely be ruled out. It can be ruled out only after doing the good health.