What can cause brown spotting and dizzy spells with headache and backache?

Mar 2013
December 8th I experience brown spotting with a Lil pink for only 2 hours. Yes my husband and I are sexually active and no we don't use any contraceptives. Any who 6 days after the brown spotting my period was supposed to show and never did now I'm 9 days late on my period. This week I have experienced dizzy spells,headaches,back aches, and fatigue. Please tell me what you think?? && no I don't have any health issues.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. This kind of abnormal menstrual bleeding should first be investigated for pregnancy or related complications. It could be a pregnancy . It could be a ' pregnancy related complication ' such as - a miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy etc. So the first think I would do for such a patient walking in to my clinic is - a pregnancy test. Other than that, there could be various causes for spotting which replaces normal periods. Stress, tensions on personal or professional front, weight gain, changes in climate, diet or sleep patterns, ingestion of hormonal medications - all these are potential causes. Polycystic ovarian syndrome, hypothyroidism, endometrial hyperplasia , a cervical / uterine polyp should also be ruled out. Please consult a gynecologist, to have the following work up - 1. Pregnancy test 2. Pelvic ultrasound scan 3. Hormonal levels - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, Lipid Profile, DHEAS, Free Testosterone, Fasting serum insulin This workup will reveal a cause. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.