What can cause abdominal pain and gas problem ?

Pediatrician
Question
Hi XXXXXXX

I do not find your query here. Please specify your query, its very important that we discuss your health issues.

I am available to assist you.

Thanks.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 55 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

I am available to assist you.

Thanks.

Follow-up: What can cause abdominal pain and gas problem ? 2 hours later
Hello, my details are 31yrs old, female, 5'4, 107lb. I havr been have abdominal pains each morning. I have to go to the bathroom to release stool (which has been soft and light brown) there is also some clear gooey discharge that comes out. I also have gass too.this has been happeniing for over a week now.

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 16 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

The symptoms of abdominal pain each morning and having to go to the bathroom soon after, can be indicative of an altered bowel function.

Inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel diseases, parasitic infestations could be the possible causes.

Irritable bowel disease is commonly present in females, with an associated history of anxiety. It is associated with abdominal cramps followed by urgency to evacuate the bowel,slimy or mucoid stools could be associated. Alternate constipation and loose stools can also happen.

I suggest you see a Gastroenterologist for an examination.You may be advised for an ultrasound scan of abdomen, blood and urine tests and colonoscopy to look into the gut wall for any changes.

Meanwhile I suggest you follow these measures:

1.Have a bland diet, avoid spicy and oily food.
2.Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol. Doing this will reduce anxiety, gastritis and irritable bowel
3.Reduce stress, do XXXXXXX breathing exercises
4.Daily physical activity for about 30 to 45 minutes will be helpful
5.Drink lots of water and fluids to aid in regular bowel function
6.Include a lot of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, fresh fruits and high fibre in your diet.

You may need a course of antibiotics if there is an infection.

Hope this answers your query, I am available for follow ups as well.