What can be the weird-shaped mole-like bump on the back?

I have a new, weird-shaped mole-like bump on my back. It's brown and I don't remember seeing it before now. I am concerned because it's not symmetrical like I was told they're supposed to be. Thank you!
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. From the symptoms and your age, it looks like a mole or a small sebaceous cyst which is harmless. A mole can range in color from pink, brown, red, or black and can occur on any part of the body. It can occur on the back and can occur at any age.

Sometimes moles are not symmetrical in shape but in that case it is best to keep an eye on the mole. If you notice changes in the mole's color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. Also it should be examined if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful. In that case you should get it examined from a dermatologist.

Apply warm compresses on the bump because if it is a cyst then it will regress in size but if it is a mole then it will remain the same.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.