What can be the treatment for multiple conditions of ovarian cancer and liver tumours?

General Surgeon
My dear friend has been fighting Stage IV ovarian cancer for three years. She's had a full hysterectomy, spleen removed, part of the stomach surface, part of the small intestine, and the omentum. They have now found liver tumors and an intestinal blockage. She is hospitalized and still vomitting even with an NG tube in. What can they do for her at this point?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 20 minutes later

If she is suffering from stage IV ovarian cancer with metastasis (spread) to liver. Already she has been operated for total hysterectomy along with removal of omentum & part of intestine & stomach having metastasis.

Now she is suffering from intestinal obstruction leading to vomiting. This is a very advanced stage of cancer or malignancy. Though chemotherapy in beneficial in such patients, she doesn't appear to be in a condition to tolerate chemotherapy.

She can now be put either on parenteral nutrition or nutrition through gastrostomy or jejunostomy tubes (tubes placed in stomach or jejunum), till her condition stabilizes for chemotherapy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you speedy recovery
Follow-up: What can be the treatment for multiple conditions of ovarian cancer and liver tumours? 48 minutes later
Is it reasonable to believe she will stabilize for further treatment?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 18 hours later

Thanks for following up.

In view of multiple complications, the chances that your friend could improve or stabilize appear less likely.

My apologies, if my answers aren't reassuring. But definitely not a reason to lose hope & efforts. Sincere efforts and hope are rewarded often. Treating vomiting and parentral nutrition seems like the first goal here. Once her vomiting reduces and she becomes fit for chemotherapy, chances will definitely improve.

Hope my answers were off some assurance to you.

Wish you and your friend good luck.