What can be the reason that my 2 year old has fever and curls up with tears ?

My 2 year old has a slight fever and curls up from what I assume is tummy pain. he also scrunches his face up and the tears just come.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Slight fever along with pain abdomen is a common finding with intestinal infections or may be a viral fever.

You can give him acetaminophen syrup according to his body weight for the time being and take care of his diet like -
1. You can start by giving him soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, etc.
2.Replace fluids and salts:Give him broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food,etc.

If the symptoms are not relieved , medical treatment might be needed after proper examination. Other causes of pain abdomen may need to be ruled out if the dietary modifications do not help.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What can be the reason that my 2 year old has fever and curls up with tears ? 4 hours later
Hi, I took him to the doctor today, and he checked him over. But couldn't find a problem. He is only doing these pain cries at night after he has been asleep for a minimum half hour. And tonight, he only ate a few pieces of sausage, which is unusual considering he eats so much..
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

The cause of such pain could be constipation, heart burn or parasitic infestation.

Consider giving him a course of de-worming medicine. It could help. Please discuss with your doctor regarding the same.

All these reasons should be excluded and if no organic cause is found then dietary modifications will help in improvement.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.