What can be the reason for wetness in vagina ?

wet vagina chronic wet crotch doesn't really seem to be a bladder incontinence problem, no apparent symptoms other than wetness but no appreciable incontinence noticed. my doctor prescribed me vesicare i think, it was generic & I may have less urgency to go but even this isn't helping me the way I was hoping it would
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for your query.

As for your symptoms there may be a couple of possibilities which I will discuss here and which may require that you touch base again with your bladder or incontinence then we must consider other things which would increase the secretions in the vagina. I assume the medications which you listed including prozac and seroquel are ones which you have taken for a while. In that case I would not consider your medications as a potential cause.

I would have to consider the possibility of a mild infection or overgrowth of bacteria which may be contributing to your symptoms. This includes bacterial vaginosis or possibly trichomoniasis. These can create mild infections which can cause low level inflammation and increased secretions in the vagina. These are treated with an antibiotic and most commonly with an antibiotic called metronidazole. This is something you would have to discuss with your physician who might provide you with a prescription.

Next, hormonal fluctuation can also change secretions. At 48 you are at an age where your estrogen and progesterone levels may be fluctuating and this could possibly explain what is going on. Your doctor can do a simple blood test to check these hormone levels.

These are a few thoughts as to what may be creating this situation of increased wetness in the vagina in your case. I hope you have found this answer to be both adequate and informative. should you have further questions, I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: What can be the reason for wetness in vagina ? 56 minutes later
Hello Doctor, my follow up question is if you could think of something I can use, in the hair to keep dry? This forum is nice instead of a face to face with primary MD Thanks
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello again.

Thanks for the follow up.

One thing that you could try is to trim the hair with an electric trimmer. This would leave less hair to trap moisture.

In addition you could use a feminine powder to also absorb moisture. These powders typically contain corn starch which is an excellent moisture absorbing product which is also non-toxic. These powders are available at most local pharmacies and departmental stores. They are available in the feminine hygiene section or can frequently wash the area and wipe it with dry soft cloth.

Again I hope this forum has been helpful for you.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.