What can be the reason for swollen finger tip pads ?

Rheumatologist
Question
I have swollen finger tip pads. They are "like" small marbles inside the skin. Mostly just in 2 fingers..the same fingers in both hands.
There is no fluid in them. It is just like the finger tip pads have too much blood in them or something? The whole finger tip is not swollen. Just in the "center" where the pad is.
I do have "fluctuating" circulation in both hands and mottled looking skin ( red/purple with white spots) showing poor circulation.
I have been tested for carpel tunnel. Have had A and A blood tests done. Surem levels checked etc.etc. No signs in these tests of any antibodies being off. Dr was checking for Reynauds, Schleroderma, etc. All blood tests were fine.
This ALL started with a death in the family. I was beyond...anxiety. I was in bed for two days, shaking, etc. etc. The next week afterwards, my bowels were way off and THEN my fingers became very wrinkled like an old man. This lasted for 2 months..and then it turned to the FINGER TIP PADS being swollen? Again..looks like I have small marbles inside of the skin off four of my fingertips. They do turn red/purple ( just at the fingertips only ) sometimes. They never turn white, nor are they sensitive to heat or cold ( not in the least ).
They do swell up in the "middle pads only". They are sometimes like playdough and wrinkled. It fluctuates, but even when the are wrinkled, the FINGER TIP PADS stay swollen like little marbles under the skin.
I have NO DOUBT that extreme anxiety brough this on. It happened just after the death ( within days ). I dont think that reynauds, schleroderma would just start up after a traumatic death in the family. Again...A and A antibodies test negative. Dont have FIBRO because I have absolutely no body aches or pains. Just fluctuating blood flow in fingers and "permanent" swollen tissue in the fingertip pads. No matter what....those small "pea like"..."small marble like" bumps stay under the skin pads. Not clusters...They look almost like blisters under the skin...but have been there for 4 months with no fluid in them.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 43 hours later

You have ruled out common causes of symptoms in the fingers viz.
Raynauds, scleroderma, and lupus (I presume you mean antinuclear
antibody as A and A).

I was suspecting if trazodone is the cause of your symptoms.

Pictures would have been of great help. However, erythema nodosum is
the other possibility of nodes under the skin. The causes of this are
sarcoidosis, tubeculosis and drugs.

Do upload photos of the lesions you have here or mail them to YYYY@YYYY with sub : attn Dr Praveen Jadav.

Anticipating your response.