What can be the reason for severe headaches with small bumps on right hand ?

I have been having a headache for the past 4 days, and it hasnt stopped. Every time i get up from a sitting or laying down position or I bend XXXXXXX to pick something up,it gets stronger for about 20 seconds ata time. i feel like a pulsing in the back of my head and sometimes on the temple area of my head. I was taking 325mg tylenol for the first 2 days but it did nothing. I went to the doctor yesterday but all he did was prescribe Ibprofen and that calms down the pain but doesnt take it away. He dod also notice some small bumps on my right hand that he says may be shingles so he prescribed a medication that begins with Acy. He checked my blood pressure and all the norms like breathing etc. I am 26 yrs old, 5'11, 190 Lbs and no medical history of headaches.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later
Having continuous headache for last four days without any history of migraines or head injury may be due to-
1. Anxiety/ tension- try to relax yourself, decrease alcohol or caffeine intake, take a mild sedative for a good and restful sleep, do mild aerobics, etc.
2. Eyestrain-Straining your eyes to focus on things can be a big factor of what causes headaches. You need to get your eyes examined for refraction.
4. High blood pressure- your physician has already ruled this out.
All the above causes need to be excluded. If the headache is not getting relieved with mild pain killers then you can try some herbal preparations for the same.
Also, I would advise you to get an MRI head and neck done to rule out any organic causes if none of the above causes seem likely.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What can be the reason for severe headaches with small bumps on right hand ? 39 minutes later
After looking into Shingles more online, it seems that might be the cause also as i see it comes with headaches also. The doctor preribed me Acyclovir for this. is there anything i can do to relieve the pain of the headaches since when i take the ibprofen it doesnt help too much. It contains the pain in the back of my head to a cetain extent, but it doesnt stop the periodic pulsating that comes and goes.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If the headache is due to shingles then it will subside only when the infection subsides. As you are taking acyclovir, it will subside in next 3-4 days.
Till then try to relax and have a good night's sleep and take ibuprofen with a strong cup of coffee.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: What can be the reason for severe headaches with small bumps on right hand ? 18 minutes later
Since I dont know if this is the excact cause of the headaches and a few of the options u mentioned in your first reply dont seem too likely, by when is a good time to get a CT scan if pain does not stop? also to geta ct scan, do i need to go to my doctor first again or can i just go to a emergency/urgent care office?

thank you for your help
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
For getting a CT scan done, you will have to go to your doctor and ask him to prescribe it for you.
It is best to wait for 2-3 more days for infection symptoms to subside and then proceed to investigate further.
Happy to help you always.