What can be the reason for pain in the right side of arm and neck ?

I have a sore stiff neck on the right side - the neck and back of the head is hurting. when i swallow, it also hurts. I've tried pain killer tablets like advil, aleve and tiger balm heat pds, cold compressor but it seems like nothing is working. this is the second day in pain - trying to turn my head to the left is bearable the right is unbearable..any advice

i slipped in walmart about 2 weeks ago on the right side of my arm... the upper part of the right arm hit an end cap.....didnt go to a doctor - assumed i will be ok
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: What can be the reason for pain in the right side of arm and neck ? 5 minutes later
my right eardrum is aching too
cold compressor is starting to help the throbbing
pain but the neck is still stiff/sore
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later

Your symptoms are suggestive of three conditions-

1) Neck muscle spasm- due to overuse or injury. Needs muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside along with pain killers for relief under guidance of an orthopaedician.

2)Middle ear infection- ASOM- needs an examination by ENT surgeon for diagnosis. Only broad spectrum antibiotics along with antiinflammatory drugs will help.

3) Old fracture neck vertebra which is now getting displaced after use. You need a cervical collar to give rest to your neck muscles till you get an X-ray or MRI done to rule out the injury.

In my opinion you do need to consult an orthopaedician first to reach a diagnosis after proper investigations.

Meanwhile you can continue using cold compresses, simple analgesics for the relief of pain.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.