What can be the reason for excessive sweating in the head ?

My 2.5 year old daughter has excessive head sweating. I've noticed this for a couple of weeks. What alarms me about it is that her hair and even pillow smell like urine. She is otherwise healthy...
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 37 minutes later
Excessive sweating is called hyperhydrosis.Those with hyperhidrosis appear to have overactive sweat glands.Otherwise secondary hyperhydrosis may occur which may be due to some underlying medical disorder.For this,several types of treatments are available mostly,interventional.If she is having a lot of trouble,then is suggest that she sees a doctor so that any underlying medical disorders can be ruled out.
She definitely has a reaction to nuts,so please do keep them away from here.
I would suggest that all other possibilties be ruled out, before any major intervention be done,since she's only 3 yrs old.

Follow-up: What can be the reason for excessive sweating in the head ? 1 hour later
But, why would her head sweat smell so strongly of urine?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Its probably due to the high ammonia and nitrogen content of the sweat.The sweat often smells like urine due to the acidic nature of the bodily fluids.Certain metabolic disorders also can cause nitrogen release and bodily fluids may smell like urine/fishy odour.
I would like to stress the need to rule out underlying medical disorders that may cause excessive sweating.Avoid eating foods XXXXXXX in nitrogen,carnitine,sulphur.