What can be the reason for double vision problems and jaw crunching ?

ENT Specialist
Hi for the past 2-3 months ive been experiencing ghosting. I dont beleive its actual double vision because the second "object" is very transparent and its not a full image just the image cut in half. Its not as bad during the day as it is during the night. it is in both eyes. and i think its been getting slightly worse. I was wondering if this could be an eye problem or possible brain tumor. Ive seen 2 doctors 2 times each explaining that im worried about a brain tumor. they both beleived my eye problem had to do with stress and that they didnt suspect a brain tumor at ALL...they did a neurological exam and phyiscal exam and said that nothing was wrong and that there was no need for a ct scan. Ive also recently gone for my physical and was marked as perfectly healthy. Another thing i was wondering is when i open my mouth i can hear my jaw crunch. and at least once a day it snags and makes a loud POP. Could that be connected?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi Cubbieblue,

Thanks for the query

The visual disturbances you are encountering could be due to various reasons. Cornea related issues, cataract, refractive errors, etc. But you feel this is not actual double vision (diplopia), if so, the best thing you can do is to consult an ophthalmologist and get a slit lamp examination done as well as to check for the refractive errors.

If you have already got all these things done and you are still suspicious about brain tumors it is better to request your doctor to get a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of the brain done to rule out any neurological causes of this problem. MRI is a better option than the CT scan as it helps in identifying the neurological lesions better than the CT scan.

Secondly, the crackling noise what you are experiencing on opening your mouth is because of the temporomandibular joint dysfunction and it is no where related to your problem.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar