What can be the reason for constant fever since 15 days ?

ENT Specialist
My daughter aged 15 years has been running fever for last 10 days. Her fever ranges from 99 - 100.5. The blood count is normal and typhoid test is negative. Her fever goes down with Paracetamol 650 and resuface once effect gors off. Doctor put her on Cepodem 200mg as she suspeted bacterial infection but it does not seem to be working. She has normal apetite and no aches or tiredness. Somehow fever is not going down, no irritation in urine though urine test has not been done as of now. What could it possibly be?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Her negative history includes--- NO typhoid, UTI, no malaria( in this case fever is usually associated with chills and rigors).

After reading your history I feel that, she might be suffering from secondary bacterial infection.

1- Initially she might have suffered from viral infection leading to fever, then it is usually followed by a bacterial infection, which is a common possibility.

This is why your doctor has prescribed her an antibiotic. cefpodem is cefpodoxime proxetil, dose is 200 mg twice a day.

Following these measures which help her in her recovery:

1- Give her plenty of fluids.
2- Monitor temperature every 6 hours and prepare a chart.
3- Anti Pyretics like paracetamol for her fever and Antibiotics as advised by her doctor.
4- Tab supplements nutrition required by the body.
5- Cold sponging as and when needed.

You can discuss with your doctor regarding these investigations
1- S.creat and blood urea.
2- Liver function tests.
3- Buffer coat test for malaria( ELISA).

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Follow-up: What can be the reason for constant fever since 15 days ? 2 hours later
Thanks Doctor. Her body, forehead, neck, arms normally do not indicate fever, infact her forehead, arms, feet etc ae generally on colder side, but thermometer does catch fever. Normally body is warm during fever but in her case, it is normal to colder side. She does not feel fever or feel down despite fever is upto 101.5. How do we pin point the reason for fever, instead following process of elimination, can we do all possible tests that are possible.She otherwise has been healthy child ( not fat) and her current weight is 65 kgs. Please advise. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 28 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

I can understand your worry for your daughter. But as a doctor, after reading your history, I am of the opinion that your child is suffering from a minor entity secondary bacterial fever.

Now , let me explain, why the surface temperature is normal, on the contrary the thermometer reads to 101 degrees.

REASON-- The human body can be divided into two parts . The surface and the core. The surface lies in contact with the atmosphere and that becomes normal temperature. On the other hand the core temperature, actually gives an idea about the body status.
The temp recorded by thermometer is core temperature, that is very different from, surface temperature.

I advise you not to worry and follow the above advice and continue the treatment for 7 more days. I believe that she will be fine.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish your daughter a speedy recovery.