Ask a Urologist   »  

What can be the flaky spots on the penis?

Hi I'm 28 years old. I'm 5"11 and I don't have any health problems at this time. My question is for 3 months I had these white flaky spots in the middle of my penis. They do not hurt or bleed. When I shower they go away, but as my skin drys it turns flaky again. Iam going to schdule a vist with my doctor Monday. Any idea what it might be?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 40 minutes later

Normally white flakes suggest either fungal infection or psoriasis.
In your case it seems to be more like fungal infection. In psoriasis, when the flakes are removed pin-size bleeding spots are seen, which you have not mentioned.

Penile skin is a common area to have fungal infection, and you are not alone, neither in having them, nor in being embarrassed.

Normally the fungal infection in penile area occurs because of humidity. So try to keep the local area dry.

For fungal infection, you may try oral antifungal medicines in combination with local antifungal cream, like Clotrimazole an over the counter topical antifungal cream. You may also try using a scentless moisturizer for sensitive skin on your penis after you step out of the shower. Your pores will be open from the steam, and the moisturizer will be absorbed more readily.

Avoid nylon undergarments, prefer loose fitting cotton ones.

Hope this answers your query. I am available for follow ups as well.