What can be the cause of little fluid filled red bumps on my right testicle ?

Hi, I'm 24 years old and have a weird situation. I've been sexually active for about 8 years now and admit to having unprotected sex on occasion. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a line of little red bumps that were fluid-filled on my right testicle. It looks like poison ivy and have be popped. I immediately thought herpes. The weird thing is, is that I haven't had sex in about 2 months. The girl was clean, so I started to question a girl prior. The girl prior was over a year ago. I have not had any other symptoms. They just appear one day after doing some hardcore fishing with a friend. I got chiggers that day, around my genitals, not on them. I don't think they were chiggers, but its just weird that they all of a sudden appeared, I've never had anything like this before...ever. I'm still thinking herpes, but this symptom just came so long after having sex that I have my doubts. They are almost completely healed now and have no signs of spreading. Just a line of small-red bumps filled with clear fluid. Please give your advice.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 41 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query,

I have to say that I consider Herpes Type II to be the most likely cause of what you are experiencing. The tricky thing about this virus is that it does not always trigger symptoms and one can transmit the virus in the absence of symptoms as well.

Usually the first outbreak of a herpes infection is the worst or most symptomatic. Blood tests can be done or perhaps a culture of one of the lesion to confirm this. It is impossible to tell when or where you picked up the virus unfortunately. You could have possibly had it for many years and remained asymptomatic.

Now with all that being said are there any other possibilities here? The only other things which come to mind would be a bacterial infection or an allergic reaction.

You have a couple of options at this point. First - you could go get a comprehensive STD screen which can give us some more information. Second, to help resolve the current outbreak you could see a physician and get a prescription for something like Valtrex which might help this resolve more quickly.

In the absence of being able to examine you and run some tests it is a bit difficult to provide much further along the lines of advice. I again thank you for your query. I hope you found my reply to be both helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them here.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: What can be the cause of little fluid filled red bumps on my right testicle ? 11 hours later
Thank you for your advice. It may actually be a bacterial infection. I admit I'm going to be living in denial for a little bit until I can go get tested. It helps me sleep at night. The reason I think it may be a bacterial infection is because prior to going fishing, I was shaving my scrotum. In the spot where I now have lesions, I think I shaved too close. Then when I went fishing, I waded in the a farm pond up to my chest for a good 2 hours. I didn't have it before that night, and when I got home I noticed that I had chiggers all around my groin and noticed a series of bumps where I shaved. The only girl I can think of that was a huge possibility is a girl I had sex with 2 years ago. I ended up getting an infection where my lymph nodes were swollen for about a week. She went to the doctor and got tested. It ended up being an STI. Or so she said. What is your opinion on being in a nasty farm pond with a raw shaven scrotum? With all of that being said, I'm still not ruling out herpes type two by far, and will abstain from sex until I get tested. I just find it very odd. I also have explored the possibly of HPV. Through the research that I have done, some strains of HPV can cause herpes.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello again,

The additional history you provide is very important. In the context of shaved skin - a superficial bacterial infection becomes more of a consideration. More simply stated - yes it could be the cause of your symptoms.

HPV is a remote possibility though what you have does not seem to be a wart-like phenomenon. I'm not aware of HPV causing a herpetic lesion unless there is a hybrid strain I am unaware of.

I think you have a healthy outlook on this and do get a definitive testing at somepoint.

I hope this has been an informative exchange for you. If there are additional questions please let me know.

Dr. Galamaga.