What can be the cause of increase in DHEA-S without increase in Cortisol ?

Subject: DHEA-S
Hello. I have had labs drawn in February and again in July. Both times my DHEA-S is above range. All other lab values are normal... Thus no cushings, no addisons, no PCOS, ...etc. I will be taking a CT Scan to check for an adrenal tumor in a few days... But my question is simply this... Can SEVERE EMOTIONAL STRESS increase a person's DHEA-S without increasing Cortisol as well? I guess I am looking for another possible cause for the elevation in DHEA-S besides a tumor. Thank you so much in advance.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 7 hours later

Severe emotional stress usually increases your cortisol and DHEAS initially , but later due to ongoing stress the DHEA levels decreases and cortisol continues to rise.

DHEA is a cortisol antagonist. DHEA supplementation has an anti-depressant effect and protects from cortisol overconcentration over long time scales

It is very unlikely that DHEAS alone will be increased without effect on cortisol.

Again It is very unlikely to have an tumor to secrete only DHEAS.

You need not be worried about tumor. Most of the adrenal tumors secrete Cortisol, DHEAS and other adrenal hormones.

But generally DHEAS it self can have some alteration in values depending on the laboratory assay that is used.

It is better to have an complete clinical examination (CT scan)to see whether you have any features suggestive of adrenal problem and then decide on further evaluation and treatment.

Hope i have answered your query.