What can be the cause for delay in periods?
User rating for this question
I am 25 years old. .It has been more than 60 days now since i had my menstruation .My menstrual cycle had never been very regular but for like past 7-8 times before this, it was occuring regularly. Should i be worrying about it ? What can be the causes for this delay ?
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Yes, with a history of irregular menstrual cycles, you should consult a gynecologist. Common conditions such as stress, tensions, worrying about personal or professional life, weight gain, change in diet or sleep habits - can cause delayed cycles. Pregnancy obviously should be ruled out first and foremost. Apart from this,there could be a few possibilities which are causing such irregular cycles. The first possibility that I can think of is PCOS - this is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. In this condition, there is baseline hormonal imbalance. Due to this, the ovary gets studded with multiple small follicles, none of them mature to form an egg, thus cycles are irregular and ovulation is erratic. Patients are often overweight, have hirsutism ( excess hair growth on body ). Another possibility is hypothyroidism or prolactin hormone imbalance. Also, endometrial hyperplasia ( thickening of the lining of the uterus ) can lead to irregular cycles. Ovarian cysts also can cause such a picture. Since the list is long, you require a complete evaluation. For a patient like you, I would do the following - 1. Internal check up - per vaginum and per speculum 2. Pelvic ultrasound scan done transvaginally ( if sexually active ) or trans rectally. 3. FSH, LH, TSH, prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, free testosterone, fasting serum insulin, Lipid Profile 4. Follicular monitoring scan if you are trying to conceive by any chance. Please get this workup done. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
People also viewed
- Crisanta pills information booklet
- What is the cause of delay in period
- What causes delay in periods with cramping
- Booger poop infant formula
- What could cause delay in periods
- Is lucozade boost good for pregant woman
- What is the cause of illness and delaying period
- What is the cause for experiencing delay in periods
- Primolut n cause vaginal infection
- Yeast infection causing swollen urithera
- Cervical spine has bony lumps in it
- Can postinor cause infatility
- What causes an infected nipple
- Boogery like discharge when pregnant
- Implanon causing ovulation pain