What can be the blister on my penis that appeared after unprotected sex ?

Dermatologist
Question
26, 80 kg, clean medical hsitory. I have a small blister on my penis ahich appeared right after having unprotected sex with a girl. She had all her STD tests done last week and she did not turn out to have anything. However, she does have herpes (she confirmed that to me and it was visible on her lip) and she did perform oral sex. I had all my STD tests done 1.5 years ago and did not have anything. However, I am concerned about this blister and would like to send in a photo for you to examine it. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 5 hours later

Thank you for the query,

Since the lady had herpes labialis, it is likely that you have got infected with the same.

More than 80% of herpes labilais is HSV 1 and genital herpes is HSV 2. But it has been seen that now a days even HSV1 can cause genital herpes .

To confirm this you can get a TZANK SMEAR done form any good lab.You can even get a HSV 1 and HSV 2 IgM which are regarded as the confirmatory test for the same.

Since you had a unprotected sex ,I would advise you to get properly investigated for all the STDs (even though she has cleared all the tests).

You can even consider sending me a close up picture of the lesion which would help me further.

You can send it at YYYY@YYYY and kindly mention "ATTN Dr.Bharat Chawda" as a subject. Also please reply to this mail saying that you have enclosed a picture.

Perhaps a visit to dermatologist can also confirm the diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for follow up query if any.

Dr.Bharat chawda

Follow-up: What can be the blister on my penis that appeared after unprotected sex ? 1 hour later
I sent the photo via email of what it looks like.
Lady had herpes in her mouth and performed oral sex. It was our first encounter.
She got tested last week for all STDs and was negative (We did not do a herpes test but she got tested for anything life thretening and was negative).

My concern is that it started to itch right the exact next day after we did it (it was a rough sexual intercourse). I read online that herpes symptoms usuallly occur after 2 days and not right away.

This is why I would like to be sure that we are talking about herpes and not something else. Can you differentiate whether it is Herpes or something else from just a picture?
What other diseases look similar to this blister?

thank you.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 55 minutes later

Thank you for the reply and the pictures.

Are you sure that it is a blister(water filler/vesicle),because from the picture you had send it looks more like a ulcer or a cut. A rough intercourse can also lead to an erosion or a cut over the shaft of penis.

we would like to get all the STD test done including one for HSV1 & 2.

The incubation period of herpes might vary and might not be necessarily 2 days.

Even though the lady had cleared all the STD tests, there are chances that some infections would still be in the window period and might give a false negative reading.

From the picture I am not able to differentiate that it is a blister or not.

In cases where the diagnostic facilities are not available ,we prefer treating patients with the syndromic management. Here we give them a course of antibiotic which would cover nearly all the of the STDs.

If you are sure that it is a blister then you definitely require to take a course of anti viral therapy.

As far as other STDs are concerned, chancroid also starts with a small bump over the penis after a sexual encounter and then later leads to an ulcer.

Lymphogranuloma venereum can also start with a erosion over penis which would be very transient in nature and later leads to swelling of the inguinal lymph-nodes.

Its very important that you consult a dermatologist or a venereologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.

In case you need any further advise from my side ,kindly write back to us.

I will be available for any follow up query.

regards,
Dr.Bharat chawda

Follow-up: What can be the blister on my penis that appeared after unprotected sex ? 9 hours later
Would it show on any tests since it was such a recent sexual encounter?
Also this appeared very soon after rough intercourse. Isn' t there usually an incubation period?
Thanks you.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for the reply,

Herpes has a very short incubation period.Tzanck smeas would be the best as we take the blister fluid for examination.That would be the earliest to come positive if done properly .

So kindly visit a experienced dermatologist who also has pathology services.

Yes there is a incubation period which vary from disease to disease.But herpes is highly infectious with a very short incubation period.

Your reports shows all negative results ,but then since the date has not been mentioned ,I would like to know when was it done.

I hope this would help you regarding the treatment .

Wish you good health .

regards,
Dr.Bharat chawda