What can be taken for constipation that will not interact with Xanax?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am taking xanax 0.25 mg three times daily for anxiety and panic. I have been having constipation and want to know what is the best thing to take for it .that won't interact with the xanax? I also have trouble with not sleeping through the night since starting thE xanax. Any suggestions there.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. For good bowel movements three things are very important - 1. Adequate fiber intake 2. Adequate fluid intake 3. Adequate physical activity I advice you to take high fiber diet ( lot of vegetables and fruits), drink enough fluids and have a brisk walk for at least 30 minutes everyday. You can fiber supplements like metamucil. For immediate relief from constipation you can take miralax. This does not interfere with xanax. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What can be taken for constipation that will not interact with Xanax? 3 minutes later
What about the problem of waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep? I don't want to take sleeping pills.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, I presume I answered your query about constipation. Since you have anxiety and panic disorder and is on Xanax and also having sleep disturbances, I request you to post a separate question about this and our psychiatrist from our elite expert panel would address those issues. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini