What can be frequent bowel movement in child ?

My baby is nearly 7 1/2 months old. He has had runny bowel movements for 2 weeks. I've been to the doctors twice. They've checked his temperature, stomach, ears, glands and chest and it's all normal. It was said that it's either a tummy bug or related to teething. I'm getting anxious about it now as it's been 2 weeks. Is it normal for a tummy buy to last that long? He's going every 3-4 hours, but it does vary abit. Sometimes it's more like paste, other times very watery and the colour varies from brown, yellow and XXXXXXX Please can you give me some advice?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 46 minutes later

The most common cause of diarrhea in infants are infections which can be either bacterial or viral in nature, milk intolerance and an allergy to some of the food items. Since it has been two weeks it requires a careful evaluation to look out for the cause of loose stools.

During teething, children have the tendency to mouth anything around to relieve irritation produced due to teething. This can lead to Viral or Bacterial infection producing Diarrhea.

If you have recently started top feed for him it can be related to lactose intolerance also as breast fed baby when switched can have these symptoms.

These following measures might help you in avoiding dehydration and reducing Diarrhea:
1.Give him oral electrolyte solutions as many times as he defecates or as advised by your doctor
2.Give him diluted formula feeds, if feeding him on that
3.Give him food items like Banana, rice cereals, soya milk and observe for changes
4.Maintain hygiene around him
5.Give him a teether usually available in Baby shops for his irritation due to teething.

It is best to get a Stool examination done to look out for any infection or parasitic infestation and treated accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.