What can be done to restore the normal texture of the skin?

I m 27yrs old. on my ring finger underneath my ring my skin is patchy and tends to itch and turn dry frequently. I had removed the ring more than a year back but still the area is patchy and rough. I had removed the ring on noticing the presence of soap solution under my ring daily after washing utensils. my skin is basically dry and on contact with soap solution it does tend to go more dry. I haven't applied any ointment on the affected area since then other than the usual moisturiser of my daily use. what can I do to restore the normal texture of my skin? is there any ointment to be applied? is there any thing in particular that I should avoid with skin contact? will I be able to start reusing the ring I stopped wearing a year back?
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. You are probably having a type of eczema known as ring eczema. As you have rightly mentioned, it occurs due to trapped water, soap, sweat beneath the ring. Sometimes presence of nickel metal in the ring itself induces eczema. To treat the same Use a good emollient cream like cetaphil dam multiple times in a day Use a mild soap to wash hands when required and always XXXXXXX it dry followed by application of an emollient cream Apply a potent steroid cream over affected area like clobetasol cream two times in a day. Hopefully in a week the skin would get back to normal. Once its normal you may wear your ring again but make it a point to take it out once in a day for a while to remove any collected soap and water. Also to avoid nickel allergy, apply a transparent nail polish over the under surface of ring to avoid allergic contact dermatitis due to ring itself. Hope this helped. Take care