What can be done if a three year old complains of pain in the buttocks?

Hi my 3 yr old has woken up saying his bum hurts he's toilet training at the moment and is only wearing nappys at night now
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 53 minutes later
Hi! Grace,

Thanks for you query.

There is no serious disease, it may be a minor ailment.

Kindly inquire whether he has increase in the pain while passing stools. Also check whether his has to strain much at stools. CONSTIPATION may cause pain in his buttocks. See that his bowel habits are normal and that he drinks enough water.

If possible avoid the nappy at night also, till the pain subsides.
You may make some Luke-warm water, collect it in a tub and ask him to sit in it.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.