Ask a Urologist   »  

What can be done for urine problem with lower stomach pain ?

Question
my father is 78 yr old he have urine prblm from few years he is cming from india his urine sometime stopped and nt coming then he have a pain in lower stomach.what to do now or which dr i have to consult
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting the query.

Difficulty in urinating is called 'urinary retention'.

What your father has is urinary retention. At 78 years of age, the most common cause for retention is obstruction due to enlarged prostate secondary to benign prostatic hypertrophy (often called BPH) or infection of the prostate (prostatitis).

BPH can cause urinary retention, urinary frequency, urgency (compelling need to void that cannot be deferred), urgency incontinence, and voiding at night (nocturia).

He needs to consult a urologist and get investigations like urine analysis, complete examination, ultrasound prostate, KUB (kidney, urinary bladder), digital rectal examination and PSA (prostate specific antigen) levels done.

If he is having complete urinary stoppage then he needs to be catheterized to drain out the urine.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: What can be done for urine problem with lower stomach pain ? 11 hours later
when he is in India he have a same problem every after 1 yr.last time when i m take to him dr he says that he have infection in his bladder too he give him medicine after sme time it start again he says u have to go another dr he cant give him medicine can u give me sme name of special dr that he can treat him i m living in herndon va

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

As mentioned before get your father evaluated for BPH which is very common at his age.

If it is ruled out then other causes like any blockage in the flow of urine like any scar tissue, injury (as in a car wreck or bad fall), blood clots, infection, tumors in the pelvic region, and stones, infection or due to disruption of the delicate and complex system of nerves that connects the urinary tract with the brain and the nervous system should be thoroughly investigated.

To consult a urologist in XXXXXXX you can click on the following link to see good urologists practicing in XXXXXXX USA.

WWW.WWWW.WW