What can be done for neurenteric cyst in the spinal cord?

Hi, My son got operated for neuro enteric cyst in spinal cord at T6 region when he is 8 months old, Now he is 5 years old and undergoing physiotherapy and due to cyst he is partially paralysed from below T6 region. We are living in UK and coming to India for summer holidays. We want to show him to best neurologist and orthopeadistrist in bangalore to know whether they can help him anyway to get improvement and become more independent. To know any advancement in that area to give any external help to become more independent.?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

You have reported that your son has spinal cyst at T6 region. I would like to help you in getting an opinion from a team of Neurosurgeon and Orthopedic Surgeon at Bangalore.

It would be useful, if you could send me the latest MRI scan films and the reports to us. A detailed treatment history and follow up reports help. These will aid the surgeon in giving a better opinion and the modes of treatment.

You may send me the reports to my attention at YYYY@YYYY .

I will be glad to help you once I receive a reply from you. I need more time to answer all your questions till satisfaction.

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: What can be done for neurenteric cyst in the spinal cord? 7 days later
Dear Doctor,

Current situation: XXXXXXX is 5 years old boy and can’t walk. He uses splints and walking frame or wheelchair. He is undergoing regular physiotherapy. He is not under any medication. His bladder and bowel control is good.

Past conditions and milestones: Please see attached “Varun Mile Stones”
The attachment describes Varun’s past conditions since birth so please go through the document “Varun Mile Stones” and it refers to additional notes for relevant attachment name.

We would like to see XXXXXXX to recover neurologically or gain strength that helps him to be more independent. We will be in Bangalore for July and August. So We would like to XXXXXXX best neurologist in Bangalore for help. We would like to know any advancements in medical arena for this type of problem.

Kind regards,
S R Bandi/Uma
Answered by Dr. Prasad 13 hours later
Hi and thanks again.

I have reviewed the scripts sent to me.

It appears that the current treatment has been physiotherapy. And it is rightly done.

Further scope of treatment is limited in this condition following surgery.

Since the treatment is collaborative needing multispeciality approach (neurologist, neurosurgeon and physiatrist), I am trying my best in finding the best experts in Bangalore. I shall inform you of the same as soon as I find one.

Wish your son good health

Follow-up: What can be done for neurenteric cyst in the spinal cord? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor,

I would like to know if rhizotomy procedure suitable for my sons condition? And also will there be any progress if my son undergoes stem cell treatment? If we want to give a try for stem cell treatment could you please let us know best hospital for the treatment? Could you suggest will there be any side effects of stem cell treatment?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

I have sent Varun's case file to Dr. Venkataramana, a XXXXXXX NeuroSurgeon in Bangalore. He has an experienced team of Orthopedicians, Physiotherapist working under single roof. He is also doing Stem Cell Therapy in various condition. Let me know if you wish to consult him when you arrive in Bangalore.

Please find his reply as under. Hope you appreciate it.

Thank you very much for asking me opinion on Master XXXXXXX I have gone through the reports and assessments. He is recovering from the insult to the spinal cord. His neurological status is gradually improving. The residual deficits could be due to the compression by the cyst and myelomalacia. At present i feel we can augment the recovery possibily by stem cell therapy. We inject Mesenchymal stem cells through lumbar puncture. Usually multiple injections are recommended ranging from 3-5 doses. However we shall repeat an MRI to assess the latest condition of the cord. Post therapy it is necessary to continue all the supportive therapies. Since he is young it might give an opportunity for us to help him to get better neurologically. Since it is a biological treatment the time taken for the recovery is usually long ranging from 3 to 6 months. At the same time it is impossbile to predict the extent of recovery. If it is understood well we will be happy to offer this therapy.

Thanking you,

Dr. N. K. Venkataramana
Director- Advanced Neuroscience Institute,
President - Indian Society of Stereotactic & Functional Neurosurgery
Vice Chairman- BGS Global Hospital