What can be done for dry cough and sore throat?

I have flu like symptoms with aches and a dry cough and sore throat and I've noticed that I have red sores I the back of my throat that are painful; what is this and what can I do to help?
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be because of infection Detailed Answer: Hi, I can understand your concern. The symptoms you have like cough, sore throat and body aches are suggestive of throat infection. I would order throat swab for culture and sensitivity after a physical examination of your throat along with certain investigations like complete blood counts to identify the type of infection. Antibiotic therapy may need to be started based on the test results. The aforementioned test can be done under the care of your local physician. In the meanwhile you can take tylenol twice or thrice a day for body aches. XXXXXXX warm salt water gargles and throat lozenges can relieve throat discomfort. Hope this helps. Continue to ask further queries as required. Take care. Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty M.D.(Pediatrics) Associate Professor of Pediatrics