What can be done for chills and runny nose. Glands

Question
What can be done for chills and runny nose. Glands on the left side of the throat seem a little swollen.
Posted Sat, 2 Dec 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Do you feel like you are coming down with an infection?

Chills and a runny nose may be due to the onset of a cold (viral upper respiratory infection) or start of flu (also viral) or other respiratory infections.

Chills typically happen in the presence of a fever. It would be a good idea to check your temperature. If you have a low grade fever, you may feel more comfortable if you take Tylenol (acetaminophen). Don't take Tylenol and drink alcohol though (hard on the liver).

If your throat is sore too, and a fever, and some swollen glands, I recommend going in to the urgent care clinic for a throat swab to do a rapid strep test and culture. Strep symptoms give cold symptoms plus fever, chills, and swollen glands. A rapid strep test can be done with results ready while you wait.

If it's mostly just drainage down your throat giving the sore throat, and if you have no high blood pressure or other contraindications to using a vasoconstrictor type decongestant, you can try pseudo ephedrine. While this medication does not require a prescription, it is regulated (because some people cook it into methamphetamine) so you have to ask for it and show your ID. I generally don't use pseudephedrine within several hours of going to bed because it can be stimulating and keep a person awake.

Keep warm, and drink hot soups and teas. But do get your throat checked if it is sore, there is swelling of the lymph nodes of the neck, or fever.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.