What can be done for abnormal sperms?

Question
Dear Doctor, How are you?
If i can ask you about my sperm test that would be great
i have 4 - 6 pus cells and 2 - 3 epithelial cells and also defective head and defective tail sperm cells seen. are my sperm cells abnormal
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

While a few white blood cells in the semen are normal, many pus cells suggest the presence of seminal infection and it effects the viability of sperms. Epithelial cells are sometimes found in semen and there is nothing much to be worried about.

What is concerning is the defective head and tail end of sperm cells. Motility problems and a low sperm count commonly occur along with abnormal sperm morphology and can affect male fertility.

Usually in such cases, we do another semen test after four to six weeks to see whether sperm quality has improved on its own. If there are still large numbers of abnormal sperm or a low sperm count, then we check for any infection.

In such cases even with abnormal sperm morphology, motility problems or a low sperm count, pregnancy may still be possible once the infection is treated.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: What can be done for abnormal sperms? 19 minutes later
Dear Dr.Jasvinder,
Thankyou for your thoughts.
If you can advice me how to diagnose and treat the infections that really would help cause i can start the medicine course.
Also will it make my sperm healthy meaning with a proper head and tail which would eliminate an abnormal growth of the child.

Please advice.

Thankyou

Ashwin C Punjabi

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Infections of the reproductive tract affect sperm count and hence fertility. The most common sites of infection are the prostate gland, the epididymis, the seminal vesicles, and the testicle. The mumps virus, if contracted after puberty, can affect fertility.

You should consult a urologist and get infections of these structures identified by means of semen culture, ultrasound testicles and prostate and PSA levels.

Treatment is diagnosis specific (bacterial or viral)and should always be taken under medical guidance.

There's no scientific link between the shape of a sperm and its chromosomal content but there may be some male offspring who may inherit the same type of morphology abnormalities.