What can be done for a 4month child who is constipating ?

ENT Specialist
My 4.5 month old baby who is mainly breast fed is constipated. His nappy smells of stool but it's only urine. Also passing smelly wind. He normally has a good stool at least once A day. He has not had a poo for 2 days
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 44 minutes later

After reading your child's history,I consider that your child is probably suffering from GI upset.

The possibilities are--

1- Worm infestation, which is very common, in children.
2- Viral infection, usually it occurs after an attack of acute viral infection.
3- Child is suffering from dehydration.
4- Amoebiasis or giardiasis...but in your case the possibilities are rare, reason is that he is suffering from constipation, while in amoebiasis, it causes diarrhea.

I would advice you the following

1- Give him exclusive breast feed, if possible, the purpose is to maintain hydration, secondly, the breast milk is XXXXXXX in antibodies that helps to fight against the organisms like virus, bacteria, amoeba etc.

2- Consult a pediatrician, the doctor will prescribe him deworming medication

3- The doctor will also prescribe you an antibiotic syrup.

4- Maintain proper hygiene of your baby.

Do not worry, this is not a serious condition, please just follow the above instructions and he will be all rite in a week.

Hope this will help you.