What can be done about the pain in the ribs and head after a fall?

My son is 9. He was playing hard at a McDonalds playland and hit his forehead hard on one of the steps that you climb up. It seems that he came over to me right after wards. He claims that he only hit his head hard, but was complaining about pain on both sides of his rib cage under his arms and also in the middle of his chest and that it knocked the wind out of him. He says that he did not fall down and get the wind knocked out of him like that. He was shaken by the incident. His pupils don't appear dialated. Speech is fine. He seems okay except for the pains he had. He did still have some discomfort an hour afterward, but again, in the chest areas. He appears to be sleeping fine we have him in our room observing him. Any suggestions?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar Kalal 48 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

With the history you described about your son and your physical examination after being hit, it seems he is fine. But you haven't seen what has happened - Whether he has lost consciousness after injury? What was the force with which he had hit? We can't be sure of those things.

Most of the time injuries sustained while playing at Playland can't be so grievous. If he is currently fine and has not reported headache and not vomiting, I do not foresee serious injury to the head. But I can't explain the rib pain with just an injury to the head.

Hence I advice you to get him checked by a physician if you feel he is in pain and it bothers you to know his condition. A simple physical examination should be good enough for your son but some time physician may feels need of to perform few tests - Xray or CT Scan. The test will prove beyond doubt if there is a problem at all (which according to me is most unlikely).

Hope I have answered your questions. I would be available here if you have any further questions.