What can be done about raised AST levels?

ENT Specialist
female aged 42, lathargic, raised LFT's especially AST levels (103+); 70kg's normally fit, no medications, eating welll etc. Have had gall bladder removed 2 yrs ago, history of liver issues
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 6 hours later

Thanks for the query,

There are certain symptoms that a patient of post cholecystectomy suffers, and this is known as 'post cholecystectomy syndrome'.
I want to discuss about this condition, and I am sure this will help you to judge your problem.

Post cholecystectomy syndrome (PCS) is a collection of symptoms that affects some patients after gallbladder removal surgery. The symptoms may include gastritis, esophagitis, diarrhea or abdomen), and colicky lower-abdomen pain.
If you have more pronounced symptoms, then still no need to worry. Consult your physician then
Specific treatment includes--- Magnesium supplementation orally or in acute cases infusion is necessary rarely.

To prevent these symptoms diet stratification is must, which includes-

1. Good post cholecystectomy foods include beets, cucumbers,sweet potatoes, acidic foods, and foods high in Omega-3 fatty acids.
2. Foods to be avoided after gallbladder surgery include , saturated fats, dairy, eggs, coffee and black tea, most fruit juices, alcohol, chocolate, cabbage.

In your case, raised LFT and AST level signifies liver inflammation. The cause could be varied. A physician or gastroenterologist can help you in finding the cause.

Hope, this helps you. I am ready for future follow ups if you have any additional queries.