Ask a Dentist   »  

What can I drink after oral surgery? Allergic to nutrasweet and saccharin

Dentist, Prosthodontics
What can I drink post op? I was told about Milkshakes (keeps some fat in my diet and helps with the antibiotic), broth (soup/bland no chunks).

I love two things - one is a carbonated cherry drink I make myself. There are no preservatives or alcohol in it. Its just fizzy and no caffeine so I can have it with dinner or if I get up late. And I love Coke - the regular kind. I am allergic to neutrasweet and sachrin.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later

After an oral surgery it is recommended not to have fizzy or carbonated drinks like coke or pepsi for atleast 24hours, as they can dislodge the clot from the surgery/extraction site leading to bleeding. Once the clot is firmly formed and the wound is on its way to healing, you can start having the above mentioned drinks.
Hope this answers your query.