What can I do to speed up the healing of acne?

My 14 year old son has severe acne. He is currently taking trimethoprim once daily and has one visit with the dermatologist. His skin in inflamed, broken, pus filled and weeping. What more can I do to help speed up the healing process?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

What your son has is probably Acne vulgaris. Apart from oral antibiotics which he is already taking, ask him to keep his face clean by washing with a mild soap or antiseptic soap atleast twice a day. XXXXXXX it dry and do not rub it. He should avoid picking or pressing the acne. This age they tend to pick them, hence ask him to cut the nails as it reduces the chances of further infection. He can also use Benzoyl peroxide 5% lotion or gel once at bedtime after consulting his doctor. An amount of lotion the size of a pea should be enough to cover most of the face. If there is redness or peeling then he is using too much of the medicine or applying it too often.

He can prevent and treat acne by changing his lifestyle like eating proper diet, getting a good amount of sleep and drink at least eight glasses of water daily.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.