What can I do to reduce heart palpitations?

During three weeks I had many times heartpalputations lasting 4,5 hours or more. Now my heartbeat is 55 (normal betwqeen 67 and 72) and after excersizing is goes up till 61. The heart area hurts and the heartbeats feel very prominent. It scares me.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Gopi A 11 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Heart beat of 55 is normal, you need not worry about it. You also mentioned it increases to 61 after exercise. This is also normal.

Please check your heart rate during palpitations. How much is it then?

I need to know certain other details before I could further answer your query:

1. I hope you are not hypertensive or Diabetic or a Cardiac patient, are You?

2. Are you on any medications at present?

3. How is the pain in your heart area? Does it increase with Palpitations?

4. Palpitation can also occur solely in Thyroid disorders. Is there any past history of this?

Please describe more about your problem.

I will be available to answer your further queries.

Follow-up: What can I do to reduce heart palpitations? 9 hours later
Hereby more information you requested:

My heart rate during palpitations is between 140 and 160

I am not hypertensive. Bp: 117 over 67

I was diagnosed in 2001 with MVP, MR and TR. Never had any problems since.

I do not take any medication

The pain in the heart area is a constant dull pain with the feeling as if the heart is double the size and I can not sleep on my left side because of it.

I do not know if I am a diabetic; last time I checked my blood sugar level (2007)
it was 80.

I do not have a history of thyroid problems.

I am a smoker and try to stop with the patch.

Thank you so much

Jantine Pennekamp
Answered by Dr. Gopi A 36 minutes later

Thanks for the details.

If the heart rate during palpitations is so high, one possibility is it is supravemtricilar tachycardia. You will need an ECG at that time to make a diagnosis.

From your description of the pain it appears noncardaic. However I think you should visit a cardiologist. He is likely to advise a holter monitoring for 24 hours to 48 hours. It is the next possible test. Stress test can help as an initial test to come to a definitive diagnosis so that appropriate therapy can be planned.

Dr. Gopi