What can I do to lose weight ?

I am overweight, as I'm four feet eleven and was thirteen stone.
with arthritis in my knees I know that I need to be lighter to walk with a little I look awful all the fat is in my tum, My height is four feet eleven, and I'm mad for sweets climbing the walls for chocolate. except for the fat Im very small
My question is.. I went on a diet absolutely no sweeties, no potato chips and only one chocolate a day, I was delighted as right away the fat melted away
Then out of the blue the weights going back on instead of losing I'm gaining it back? got down to twelve stone four in just a couple of weeks, this morning Im up to twelve stone ten
and so sad it makes me want to give up trying, what can i do to lose please beside not eating at all. I've noticed that dieting is easy till you get hungry
now my dinner is served on a side plate and absolutely no treats cept fruit, can fruit make you put weight on please?
thank you for reading , I'm 70 but still want to be a trim XXXXXXX
sincerely yours sister XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

First of all you need to understand that you do not have to stop eating at all as this can cause various issues as hypoglycemia,weakness,high BP etc.

1)You have to eat right and do some form of exercise.As you have arthritis I can very well understand that doing heavy exercises is a problem but you can go for a walk daily at whatever pace you are comfortable.You can even do some stomach exercises by just lying down.

2)Regarding the food you have to reduce sweets intake and have low fat diet.Include more of fruits,salads,veggies and have high fibre diet.
You can even consult a Nutritionist regarding this who can prepare a daily diet chart according to your requirements and also follow you up regularly.

3)Have small frequent meals in a day.

4)Avoid buying and bringing sweets home so that you will not be tempted to have them.

5)Restrict smoking and alcohol.

6)Drink lots of water,juices,soups.

At this age the weight loss will be gradual but sustained and definitely you can achieve your goal as losing weight fast is not helpful in long term.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.