What can I do to get rid of wind in the chest?

Hello, my daughter is 15 and suffers from wind in her chest whenever she has a cold and sometimes when she dosnt, she says it hurts when she 'croaks' nnd is very aware of it in school which makes her feel embarassed is there anything I can do to help her, thank you
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 11 minutes later
Hi Elliemeskin,

Wind in chest. I assume you are talking about Burping.
Its actually a mechanism to remove excess air from stomach. It can either the air swallowed during eating or air which can be formed by bacteria action on food in stomach and intestine.

The common causes of air swallowing are, fast eating or drinking, Mouth breathing, nasal blockage, hyperventilation related to anxiety, regular gum chewing etc. If there are any such features, they need to be treated.

Also food stuffs such as pulses and legumes, carbonated drinks and spices can lead to excesses belching and need to be avoided.

Take lots of water.
Consider taking a prokinetic if symptoms still persists.

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran