What can I do for the dark spot that appeared on my left butt ?

I am 51 yo male, 5'11", 205 lbs, and have always been in perfect health (vg blood pressure, good cholesterol level, w/o 4 days weekly, health nut since I was 20ys, 'extra' weight is muscle weight - have six-pack). Had a physical exam about 6 months ago, everything was fine. Blood tests were taken (for all normal items including aids) and all tests came back fine. Other than a broken leg about 10 years ago I have never stayed overnight in a hospital. I haven't been on any presciptions for over 10 years (since the broken leg). I am of Irish/English complexion (always burn never XXXXXXX but the butt is never exposed to the sun). I have and do feel very healthy. Other than that broken leg about 10 years ago I have never stayed overnight in a hospital. I do no recreational drugs and haven't smoked cigs for over 20 years. I am not, nor ever have been, in a XXXXXXX relationship. I take about 5000 iu's of Vitamin D lot of other vitamins if that matters in your diagnosis.

THE ISSUE IS, I just noticed a 1 inch dark spot on my left butt (about 3 inches to the left of the anus, the spot is not perfectly round ). The spot is not remarkable except for the dark color. (And is in an area, once again, which never sees the sun).

Other than a dozen times during HS, haven't sun bathed naked. The skin feels the same as surrounding skin (no elevation). I pinched the dark spot hard to try to break the skin but it seems as elastic as surrounding (normal) skin. I also poked it with my finger hard and it doesn't feel like I would expect for a bruise (i.e. not painful). I have no medical insurance (in between jobs) so I'd like to wait some time and see if it goes away by itself, unless it is deemed urgent. What do you experts think? Does this ring any URGENT bells? Is there a low cost derm you can recommend if needed (los angeles area)? Thanks so much. (I just noticed this today).
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later

Hyperpigmented spots occur due to overproduction of melanin by the pigment cells, melanocytes. The cause is probably idiopathic and occasionally related to trauma, hypersensitivity, inflammatory and so on. The described symptoms are similar to melasma; which is more commonly found in females but can be found in males too.

It is not a concerning problem and doesn't warrant immediate attention. Though you have to keep a watch on it every day. Report to your doctor if you find secondary changes such as increase in the size of hyperpigmentation, change in the colour / texture of the skin, itching, redness, swelling, ulcerations, etc occur.

To lighten the XXXXXXX , you may try the following-

1. Apply sunscreen lotion regularly.

2.Take about 20 volume of hydrogen peroxide to which add about two tablespoonful of milk powder and then mix it with a few drops of glycerine. Apply this mix on the pigmented area and let it remain for 20 minutes. Then rinse the skin with water and subsequently apply moisturizer.

3. Take same amount of vinegar and use for cleansing the skin. Rinse the skin and let it dry naturally by air. The acetic acid in the vinegar will help in getting rid of the dark color and also allows the skin to remain radiant as well as smooth. XXXXXXX cider vinegar as well as natural vinegars are beneficial for treating this health condition.

All of these are home remedies are safe and effective upto some extent.

You can also apply almond oil or skin creams containing vit C or K, alpha hydroxyl acids and kojic acid on the dark patches.

However if the symptoms are severe and do not recovery, then topical bleaching agents, chemical peels and laser therapy may be needed. These are available only under prescription and hence a dermatologist should be consulted for these treatment options.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.