What can I do for stiff knuckles and ankles that started with some insect bite ?

Question
I was bit by something in my backyard. I didn't feel any pain at the time. I didn't notice the blood until I went inside. This was 5 weeks ago and my finger and knuckles are stiff and hurt. the pain lessens but with activity such as golf it starts again. What could it have been, and what do I do?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 39 minutes later

Insect bites cause inflammatory symptoms which are most often occur in a few hours following bite. Sometimes response occur a few days later due to delayed responses. The responses are most often localised over and around the region of bite.

Based on your description, infective cause needs to be ruled out. The most likely infection is viral. They are usually non concerning and resolve spontaneously in a few days.

I suggest you to use anti inflammatory medications such as tylenol or ibuprofen - 1 tablet twice a day for a few days.

I suggest you to consult a physician. Few blood tests may be needed.

Do not worry. You should be fine in a few days.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any more concern, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: What can I do for stiff knuckles and ankles that started with some insect bite ? 25 minutes later
I have been taking aleve and ibuprofen regularly, and this happened 5 weeks ago. My concern is that this has not gotton better and appears to re-occur with activity. Could something be damaged in my hand?

Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 8 minutes later

Nice to see you again.

Since your symptoms did not subside with pain killers, you will have to undergo few investigations.

It would be blood tests to detect antibodies, X-ray of hand.

The pain would be due to the inflammation of the joint cartilage.

I suggest you to consult a physician and get the reports done.

Hope I have answered your query.