What can I do for normal bowel movement after external radiation for prostate cancer?

I had external radiation for prostate cancer in XXXXXXX 2012. My problem is that I have more sudden bowel movements and after maybe 2 to3 times a day i feel like I have some stool in my rectum when I try to go it is hard to get it out . When it comes out it is just a little piece of fecal matter. It feel like it just gets stuck in my rectum and a little piece comes out and then later I get the same feeling and have to go again but it just feels stuck . If I strain to much it will bleed a little. it make me uncomfortable having the feeling that something is stuck.I can feel the rectal spincer muscels protrude down and I have to push them back up. What can i do? also have internal hemorriods
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Brief answer...given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. Radiotherapy does tend to cause problems on bowels or bladder after radiotherapy for prostate cancer because it damages cells and tissues around the prostate. Although these side effects  generally go away within few weeks of stopping radiotherapy but in few cases,it persists well beyond many months and years. You have to make certain changes in your dietary programme to cope up with it. Don't eat very spicy foods and great foods and avoid alcohol. Avoid tea and coffee as they dehydrate you. Avoid high fibre foods like cabbage,peas,cauliflower,raw salads etc Eat more of foods which are easy on your bowels like.. Fruits such as bananas,applesauce,peeled apples,canned peaches and pears. Mashed,baked or boiled potatoes,well cooked mild vegetables like green beans,carrots,asparagus etc Boiled eggs Mild processed cheese Baked fish,skinless chicken.lean meats etc Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water Do some regular exercises,for which you can talk to your doctor. You can add some extra fibre in your diet like Metamucil  You can take stool softener like colace You can take a stimulant laxative like Ex- lax but take the permission and advice from your doctor regarding the type of laxative to be used. All these measures would help a lot in controlling your symptoms however you must talk to your doctor,whether any surgical fixing for internal hemorrhoids or rectal prolapse can be done or not. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: What can I do for normal bowel movement after external radiation for prostate cancer? 46 minutes later
My DR wants me to get a colonocopy, but with my rectal problems like the hemerroids and other I am afraid to take the prep because of the bleeding and pain it will cause. what do you sujest
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 minutes later
Hello, It is definetly a good idea to have a colonoscopy done. It won't be a painful process,as you are fearing because with proper lubrication and use of local anesthetic medications,the procedure can be done quite easily without bothering you. Thanks