What can I do for de-addiction from smoking?

I smoke a pack a day. For over 20 years. When I climb 5 flights of stairs im short of breath. I seem t be achy al the time and I always seem tired. What can I do to stop my shortnessand breath and what can I take to stop smoking
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Cigarette contains nicotine. Nicotine addiction is one of most severe addiction. Smoking causes harmful effect on lungs by damaging bronchi-oles and by deposition of tar. Which reduces oxygen exchange. Lack of oxygen causes shortness of breath and tiredness during exertion. The first step in your management is to quit smoking. For de-addiction from smoking following steps are followed: -Consent of the patient: you himself seeking guidance from us -Motivational interviewing: you are already appear motivated to quit smoking, but need to maintain this motivation. -Stoppage of smoking with prevention of discomfort or withdrawal: Nicotine replacement for short duration -relapse prevention: by anti craving treatment with medicines like Bupropion -maintenance treatment. First you reduce number of cigarettes smoked per day. You reduce it 1 cig every alternate day. Same time medicine like Bupropion are given to reduce craving for smoking. We have many patients who stopped smoking with its help. But for that you need prescription from psychiatrist. After 14 days of start of Bupropion, fixed a quit date to stop smoking completely. Throw your all remaining cig and associated material like lighters on that day, otherwise they will create craving for smoking. Inform your friends and family member for quit date as it will increase your motivation. After stopping smoking you may experienced some nicotine withdrawal like anxiety, headache, poor concentration, restlessness and increase appetite. For that you can use nicotine replacement in form of Nicorette gum according to your requirement given on pack for 1-2 month. You can also use some mouth fresheners during craving for smoking. After that you are free from smoking. Always remember being smoke free, need high level of motivation. So maintain your motivation. I have simplified steps to quit smoking for you. It is better if you quit under some de addiction specialist (psychiatrist), as it is a specialized area and keep follow up to remain motivated. Avoid place, person and situations which create craving for smoking, as much as possible. Many psychiatrist and psychologist provide relapse prevention sessions to prevent relapse, which is also helpful. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,