What can I do about shaky, restless legs?

Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 48 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The important part of managing this problem of restless legs is to detect a likely cause, so that treatment can be targetted appropriately.

Restless legs can be due to a variety of causes like iron deficiency, magnesium deficiency, certain vitamin deficiencies, certain neurochemical (dopamine) imbalances, certain medical conditions like diabetes, thyroid disorders and due to the side effect of certain medication like anti-depressants or anti-psychotics.

So, I would advise you to have a complete physical examination and a few blood tests, like blood sugars, iron and magnesium levels, etc. I would also suggest that you try iron supplements and a multivitamin supplement. Try to eat a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and green leafy vegetables. Regular sleep habits and regular physical exercise is also important.

Further specific treatment should be decided after the detailed evaluation. There are specific medication like ropinirole, pramiprexole, etc. which can be effective, but this has to be prescibed by a doctor only after a proper evaluation.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist